Do you want to stay logged in?
For your security, you will be logged out shortly.
Beer Style: American Pale Ale, Belgain Pale Ale, Classic English Pale Ale
Recipe Type: all-grain
Yield: 4 gallons
All grain Saison made with pale millet, pale buckwheat, partial crystal millet, partial caramunich millet, munich millet, munich teff and oats
- 5 lbs Pale Millet Malt
- 1 lb Pale Buckwheat Malt
- 3.6 oz Partial Crystal Millet Malt
- 3 oz Partial Caramunich Millet Malt
- 9 oz Munich Millet Malt
- 0.5 lb Munich Teff
- 0.5 lb Oats
- 1.6 lb Rice Hulls
- 1 oz Perle Hops - Pellets (60 min)
- 0.3 oz Saaz Hops - Leaf (60 min)
- 0.7 oz Saaz Hops - Leaf (15 min)
- Yeast Nutrients (15 min)
- 1.25 lbs Sorghum Syrup (5 min)
- 5 oz Honey (5 min)
- 1 tsp Irish Moss (5 min)
- 1 pkg Yeast - Recipe used White WLP 566 Saison II which is not completely gluten free; may also use may also use T-58 or S-33
Additional InstructionsPrimary Ferment: 5 days at 78 - 80 degrees
Secondary Ferment: 5 days at 80 - 83 degrees
Beer ProfileOriginal Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.018
Alcohol by Vol: 6.2%
Color SRM: 9.0
Bitterness IBU: 0.0
Recipe Type: all-grain
Yield: 4.0 Gallons
5 lbs Pale Millet Malt
1 lb Pale Buckwheat Malt
3.6 oz Partial Crystal Millet Malt
3 oz Partial Caramunich Millet Malt
9 oz Munich Millet Malt
0.5 lb Munich Teff
0.5 lb Oats
1.6 lb Rice Hulls - incorporate into mash before lauter
1. Treat 7.2 gallons to get Calcium to 125-150ppm and ph of 5.9
2. Take out 3.8 gallons and place in the bottling bucket, adjust to ph of 5.6 (sparge water).
3. Heat 1.8 gallons water to 111F remove from heat and mix in crushed malt.
4. Beta-glucan rest @ 104F for 25 minutes, stir every 10 min.
5. Test Mash pH, it should have settled out to 5.4.
6. Infuse mash with .8 gal of boiling water (and applied heat)
7. Protein rest @ 125F for 25 minutes, allow it to settle for last 15 min
8. Decant off .8 gal of clear liquid from the top of the mash (enzymes)
9. Place the decanted liquid in the fridge.
10. Infuse mash with .6 gal of boiling water (and applied heat)
11. Partial conversion @ 150F and hold for 20 minutes
12. Gel Starches: raise temp to around 175F-190F for 5mins and stir
13. Cool mash to 160F
14. Add decanted liquid containing enzymes to mash to achieve mash temp of 140F, hold for 30 mins
15. raise to 147F for 30 mins
16. Starch test
17. 153 for 30mins
18. Line the LT with rice hulls, then incorporate rice hulls in mash and transfer to the LT and put the lid on and put into position
19. Heat all sparge water to 190 (165F is ideal for when it runs in the mash)
20. Recirculate while sparge water heats
21. Transfer sparge water back into bottling bucket
22. While sparging collect in the boiling pot, stir grist down to 2 inches above the false bottom.
1 oz Perle Hops - Pellets (60 min)
0.3 oz Saaz Hops - Leaf (60 min)
0.7 oz Saaz Hops - Leaf (15 min)
Yeast Nutrients (15 min)
1.25 lbs Sorghum Syrup (5 min)
5 oz Honey (5 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (5 min)
1 pkg Yeast - Recipe used White WLP 566 Saison II which is not completely gluten free; may also use may also use T-58 or S-33
Brewing notes: Ferment warm to hot with this yeast. It went from 72 - 82 degrees over the course of ten days; 72 the first 24 hours, 75 for the next 24 hrs, 80 for 3 days, then 82 for 5 days.