Do you want to stay logged in?
For your security, you will be logged out shortly.
Gluten Free Home Brewing Blog
GF Savory Malted Pie Crust & Chicken Porter Pot Pie Recipes
GF Savory Malted Pie Crust
Prep time: 20 minutes
Makes 2 - 9” pie crusts or one top and one bottom crust
1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup Malted Sweet Rice Flour
½ cup Amber Malted Rice Flour
½ cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
12 Tablespoons chilled butter cut into chunks
8-10 Tablespoons GF Amber Ale or GF Pale Ale beer
1. In a large bowl add flours, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, and salt. Mix to blend.
Add chilled butter and cut with pastry blender until mixture resembles a course meal.
Add cold beer one tablespoon at a time as needed and mix until dough forms a ball. Don’t be afraid to get your hands in there to thoroughly mix the dough.
2. Once you have formed the dough into a ball, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for about 15 minutes.
3. Divide the dough roughly in half. Roll out half the dough between two sheets of waxed paper about 1/8 inch thick. Carefully place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
4. If not pre-baking: Simply fill the pie crust with pie filling and place rolled out dough on top to cover. Press the edges together with a fork to seal. Cut off excess dough. Bake according to instructions for the pie recipe.
5. To pre-bake crust: In a pie plate with dough cut to size, prick dough with a fork to prevent bubbling. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.
Chicken Porter Pot Pie
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
2-3 cups cut up chicken
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves
6-8 fingerling potatoes
3 cups diced vegetables of your choice (choose 3 or 4 from among cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, leeks, peas, corn kernels, zucchini, yellow summer squash, mushrooms, kale, etc.)
2 tablespoons brown rice flour
1 cup dark beer such as a Porter or Stout
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon dried thyme
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Prepare GF Savory Malted Pie Crust recipe. Roll out half the dough and ease into ungreased pie pan.
2. Preheat the oven to 400º F.
3. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a skillet; add the chicken and sauté until cooked thoroughly. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
4. Heat the remaining oil and add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the potatoes and carrots and any other longer cooking veggies such as broccoli and leeks and sauté until half cooked. Add the remaining vegetables and a bit of water; cover and cook until the vegetables are tender but not overdone, about 5 minutes.
5. Pour in the beer and heat until simmering. Mix the flour with a small amount of water to make a slurry. Add the flour mixture to the filling and cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly until the liquid thickens.
6. Stir in the Italian seasoning, thyme, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Pour the mixture into prepared bottom pie crust. Roll out remaining pie dough and place over mixture. Seal the edges.
8. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden.